Three & Out:
- USC and the World Cup: We’re going to be honest. There are no discernible connections between USC and the World Cup. Not unless you count the head-tilting coincidence that the only universities with real World Cup history have interesting connections to USC themselves. Yes, the only two schools in the country who have sent former players to each of the past four World Cups happen to be the Trojans’ hated local rival, UCLA, and their eastern trademark rival, University of South Carolina (aka not USC). This year, the Gamecocks and Bruins sent a pair of reserve goal keepers with the US men’s national team to Brazil — Brad Guzan and Nick Rimando respectively. Of course, Trojan fans can surely forgive them for that today. U-S-A!
- David Sills Decommits: David Sills provided the big recruiting news of the weekend when Scout’s Brian Dohn reported that the Eastern Christian quarterback had decommitted from the Trojans four years after pledging his name to USC at the young age of 13. In truth, this news had been expected ever since five-star quarterback Ricky Town of St. Bonaventure jumped on board the Sarkisian train back in January. USC will enjoy a full-sized recruiting class for the first time in three years, so there might still be room for two quarterbacks even considering the additions of Max Browne and Jalen Greene in the 2014 class. Still, Sills, who was a Lane Kiffin recruit, never seemed to fit into Sarkisians plans. Ultimately, Sarkisian has held onto the more highly touted of the two quarterbacks while Sills will have the opportunity to look around and find the best place for him to thrive.
- Potential Commits Imminent: The Trojans could fill the spot opened by Sills very quickly this week with at least two recruits set to announce their college decisions this week. Both Tyler Petite, a four-star tight end from Moraga, CA, and Clayton Johnston, a three-star offensive tackle out of Servite in Anaheim, will reveal their commitments on Wednesday. Each has the Trojans among their top schools.
Tweets of the Day:
— USC Trojans (@USC_Athletics) June 30, 2014
- Most important player: USC (ESPN.com)
- Roundtable: Future award winners (ESPN.com)
- USC Football: What Trojans Need from Freshman Adoree’ Jackson in 2014 (Bleacher Report)
- Should More College Football Programs Offer 4-Year Scholarships to Recruits? (Bleacher Report)
- QB Sam Darnold Talks USC Offer (FightOn247)
- Two Months Away (RipsIt Blog)