The USC Trojans held two-a-days on Wednesday, with the morning session beginning at 9:20 a.m. and the second one around 3:15 p.m. The morning session didn’t stir up too much noise, but the afternoon session was rife with action. A few guys came back from minor injuries while one suffered a season-ending ACL injury, and a certain Trojan wide receiver dazzled with an incredible play.
Here are the happenings from Wednesday morning and afternoon:
- LT Aundrey Walker got a little action during the mornings’ no-pads practice, and is still wearing a brace on his right wrist. This is the first time Walker has been back out in practice since the second practice in fall camp. Freshman Max Tuerk again worked with the first team during team drills.
- In the morning, the starting LB unit remained out, but in the afternoon Dion Bailey practiced in a yellow no-contact jersey.
- DE J.R. Tavai practiced in the morning and took reps with the first team after missing time because of an undisclosed injury. Fellow LDE Greg Townsend Jr. remains out, now sporting a walking boot on his right foot.
- After two weeks of good practice as observed by Lane Kiffin, freshman DE De’Vante Wilson suffered an ACL tear to his knee Wednesday afternoon and is out for the season. Last year, he torn his ACL in his other leg, and had just come back from that. His injury makes two USC DEs that will miss the season.
- RB Curtis McNeal and DE Wes Horton also did not practice in the afternoon, for unspecified reasons.
- USC’s WRs are back out and in full force. strong>Robert Woods had an amazing catch, splitting two defenders to grab a ball out of the air for a one-handed catch, on a long ball from Max Wittek. Woods said that this catch was “the best of his life.” Both he and Marqise Lee practiced in yellow no-contact jerseys.
- FB Soma Vainuku claims to have run a 4.41 second 40-yard dash in summer workouts, faster than any of the USC running backs.
- Kiffin said a bunch of guys banged up, and that as for depth, “there is not a lot of it”. Further, he observed to the OC Register that the Trojans are “not going anywhere if we don’t get these backups ready.”.
- Kiff also compared current WR Lee to Reggie Bush today after practice in terms of work ethic and prep.
- There is stil no movement at the QB 2 spot, but Kiffin is happy with both Kessler and Max Wittek thus far. He later praised LT Tuerk as well, saying that the freshman is coming along excellently.
- USC’s new LB coach Scottie Hazelton said Hayes Pullard could play all three LB positions.
Practice resumes again on Thursday at 3:15 p.m.