Greg Johnson will miss what is left of the 2018 season as he undergoes shoulder surgery, plus more from the USC football injury report for November 20.
It’s late and won’t mean much in terms of games missed, but USC football has lost yet another player to a season-ending injury.
Cornerback Greg Johnson will undergo shoulder surgery this week and miss the remainder of the 2018 season, head coach Clay Helton announced on Tuesday.
The redshirt freshman missed the Cal game with a sprained shoulder but was able to return to practice ahead of the UCLA game.
More from Reign of Troy
- Markese Stepp enters transfer portal intending to leave USC football
- USC football’s Alijah Vera-Tucker declares for NFL Draft
- USC football adds Xavion Alford as transfer from Texas
- USC Podcast: RoT Radio Ep. 396 on the Football Season’s Fallout
- Talanoa Hufanga named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, USC football with five first-teamers
Though he started the first four games of the season at cornerback, his impact has been limited as of late, unable to break back into the starting lineup since losing his job to Isaiah Langley ahead of the Arizona game.
Surgery means he will miss just one, at the most two, games for the rest of the season. However, the effect of the procedure could extend beyond then. Other players who have undergone shoulder surgery in the fall have been held out of Spring Camp practices. His opportunities to compete for the starting spots vacated by Langley and Iman Marshall will be shortened by his recovery.
A more pressing concern is the status of inside linebacker John Houston, who did not suit up for practice on Tuesday. While Reuben Peters stepped in for Houston when he injured his hamstring against UCLA, it was freshman Palaie Gaoteote who took his first team reps to start this week of practice.
Defensive lineman Jacob Lichtenstein was also out on Tuesday with a shoulder injury. Running back Aca’Cedric Ware was limited by a similar issue.
Men's 50-0 Short-Sleeve T-Shirt
Tight end Josh Falo and offensive lineman Alijah Vera-Tucker are both fighting through knee injuries with defensive lineman Jay Tufele also practicing through an ankle sprain, according to Helton.
On the plus side, offensive lineman Chuma Edoga was back from the knee injury which kept him out for two games.
Finally, wide receiver Trevon Sidney did not practice with illness.
USC Football Injury Report
- Out for the season
- LB Porter Gustin (ankle)
- LB Tayler Katoa (LDS Mission)
- DB Greg Johnson (shoulder)
- DB Isaiah Pola-Mao (shoulder)
- K Chase McGrath (knee)
- RB Stephen Carr (ankle)
- WR Randal Grimes (academics)
- TE Daniel Imatorbhebhe (quad)
- OL Clayton Bradley (undisclosed)
- DL Caleb Tremblay (knee)
- LB Oluwole Betiku (hip)
- LB Solomon Tuliaupupu (foot)
- DB Talanoa Hufanga (shoulder)
- QB Matt Fink (ribs)
- WR Trevon Sidney (illness)
- DL Jacob Lichtenstein (shoulder)
- LB John Houston (ankle)
- RB Aca’Cedric Ware (shoulder)
- TE Josh Falo (knee0
- OL Chuma Edoga (knee)
- OL Alijah Vera-Tucker (knee)
- DL Jay Tufele (ankle)