The Trojans made it out of Saturday’s scrimmage with relatively few injuries, but Josh Imatorbhebhe wasn’t so lucky. Here’s the USC football injury report for August 11.
An opportunity had opened up for redshirt sophomore receiver Josh Imatorbhebhe. But then the injury bug struck, pulling him from action on during USC football’s Saturday scrimmage with a sprained ankle.
Imatorbhebhe moved into the first team lineup because of Michael Pittman’s AC sprain and it looked like he might make the most of the extra reps.
He hauled in a long throw from Jack Sears early in the scrimmage and took off for the endzone, but his foot got caught under a last-ditch tackle attempt and he tweaked his ankle. Though he completed the touchdown, he had to be helped back to the offensive sideline by teammates.
More from Reign of Troy
- Markese Stepp enters transfer portal intending to leave USC football
- USC football’s Alijah Vera-Tucker declares for NFL Draft
- USC football adds Xavion Alford as transfer from Texas
- USC Podcast: RoT Radio Ep. 396 on the Football Season’s Fallout
- Talanoa Hufanga named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, USC football with five first-teamers
Head coach Clay Helton said they would reevaluate his status when the Trojans get back to practice on Monday but ankle sprains are almost always multi-week injuries to overcome.
That’s unfortunate for Imatorbhebhe, who could have made his case for a larger role in the rotation over the coming weeks. Now it seems he’ll have to wait for his chance to impress.
With Imatorbhebhe sidelined along with Pittman, freshmen Amon-Ra St. Brown and Devon Wiliams saw extended run during the scrimmage.
Even before the scrimmage had even begun the Trojans had one player scratched. Defensive lineman Caleb Tremblay was working through drills with the offensive line when he collided with an offensive tackle and suffered a stinger.
Helton said trainers held the JUCO transfer out of action as a precaution.
USC Football Injury Report:
- Out for the season: LB Tayler Katoa (LDS Mission)
- Out: LB Oluwole Betiku (hip), OL Chuma Edoga (hip), LB Palaie Gaoteote (knee), LB Porter Gustin (knee), LB Levi Jones (ankle), TE Erik Krommenhoek (hamstring), DL Jacob Lichtenstein (calf), K Chase McGrath (groin), WR Michael Pittman (shoulder), S Ykili Ross (hamstring), WR Jake Russell (hamstring), LB Cameron Smith (hamstring), LB Solomon Tuliaupupu (foot)
- Pulled: WR Josh Imatorbhebhe (ankle), DL Caleb Tremblay (stinger)
The two new additions to USC’s injury list joined a large group of teammates who continue to sit out due to injury. Those include starters or potential starters like Pittman, offensive lineman Chuma Edoga, linebacker Cameron Smith, linebacker Porter Gustin and safety Ykili Ross.