Freshman linebacker Palaie Gaoteote needs an MRI on his injured knee while Michael Pittman suffered another AC sprain. Here’s the USC football injury report for August 9.
The injury bug is starting to hit USC football with not even a week of Fall Camp in the books. On Thursday, a handful of players sat out practice, or were pulled from it, as the injury list grew.
Freshman linebacker Palaie Gaoteote appeared on the sidelines with a sleeve on his knee and, according to head coach Clay Hetlton, is awaiting an MRI to discover the severity of an injury he suffered at some point before Thursday’s practice.
That’s a potentially unfortunate blow for the promising five-star who had a standout performance in the Wednesday mini-scrimmage.
More from Reign of Troy
- Markese Stepp enters transfer portal intending to leave USC football
- USC football’s Alijah Vera-Tucker declares for NFL Draft
- USC football adds Xavion Alford as transfer from Texas
- USC Podcast: RoT Radio Ep. 396 on the Football Season’s Fallout
- Talanoa Hufanga named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, USC football with five first-teamers
Weakside linebacker was particularly injury-hit Thursday with Levi Jones sitting out with an ankle injury while John Houston was pulled as a precaution after he banged his knee.
Meanwhile, USC’s receiving corps took a hit as Michael Pittman was unable to finish practice after suffering an AC sprain, Helton said. That’s the same injury Pittman suffered during Spring Camp, but it only required a couple days rest to resolve. With any luck, it’ll be the same now.
Walk-on wide receiver Jake Russell also suffered a hamstring injury.
Over on the defensive line, Jacob Lichtenstein went down with a calf muscle problem.
Along with all those injury concerns, the likes of linebacker Cameron Smith, safety Ykili Ross, tackle Chuma Edoga, tight end Erik Krommenhoek, linebacker Oluwole Betiku and linebacker Solomon Tuiliaupupu remained sidelined. Running back Markese Stepp with an undisclosed issue.
However, receiver Devon Williams was able to get into some action on Day 6 after being held out on Day 5.
USC Football Injury Report:
- Out for the season: LB Tayler Katoa (LDS Mission)
- Out: LB Oluwole Betiku (hip), OL Chuma Edoga (hip), LB Palaie Gaoteote (knee), LB Porter Gustin (knee), LB Levi Jones (ankle), TE Erik Krommenhoek (hamstring), K Chase McGrath (groin), S Ykili Ross (hamstring), WR Jake Russell (hamstring), LB Cameron Smith (hamstring), RB Markese Stepp (undisclosed), LB Solomon Tuliaupupu (foot)
- Limited: WR Devon Williams (undisclosed)
- Pulled: LB John Houston (knee), DL Jacob Lichtenstein (calf), WR Michael Pittman (shoulder)
In more minor injury news, quarterback JT Daniels is wearing a glove on his hand, but not as a fashion statement. He had a nail bent back and is likely to lose it. The glove is a measure to prevent infection or other complications.