Predator linebacker Christian Rector will miss multiple weeks of action because of a broken hand which requires surgery. Here’s the USC injury report from Oct. 26.
The hand injury which Christian Rector sustained on Wednesday is serious, and will keep him out for weeks, head coach Clay Helton said on Thursday.
Rector suffered a broken hand and will have to undergo surgery to repair it. Helton described the timetable for his return after surgery as “weeks.”
That is the second major injury the Trojans have dealt with at the predator linebacker position, where Rector was standing in for Porter Gustin, who broke his toe and tore a bicep in September.
Gustin has made progress on a return this week, running for the first time and getting in “limited” work on Thursday. He was described as a “gametime decision” for Saturday but would likely be limited to 15-20 plays even if he suits up.
USC Injury Report:
- Out for season: DL Kenny Bigelow (retirement), K Michael Brown (knee), CB Greg Johnson (shoulder), LB Tayler Katoa (knee), CB Jonathan Lockett (hip), S Isaiah Pola-Mao (shoulder), OL Viane Talamaivao (pectoral), DL Marlon Tuipulotu (back), WR Keyshawn “Pie” Young (hamstring/redshirt)
- Out: RB Stephen Carr (foot), OLB Hunter Echols (hip), TE Josh Falo (foot), CB Iman Marshall (knee), DL Christian Rector (hand), OT Nathan Smith (knee)
- Questionable: DL Josh Fatu (concussion), OLB Porter Gustin (toe/bicep)
- Probable: QB Sam Darnold (ankle), OL Chuma Edoga (ankle/illness), OL Nico Falah (chest), DL Rasheem Green (ankle), TE Daniel Imatorbhebhe (hip), Ronald Jones II (ankle), Damon Johnson (back/concussion), OL Toa Lobendahn (pectoral), WR Steven Mitchell (shoulder)
With Rector out and Gustin limited at best, USC will turn to inside linebacker Jordan Iosefa as a replacement.
Oluwole Betiku and Connor Murphy could also see time as options on power formations against ASU.
More from Reign of Troy
- Markese Stepp enters transfer portal intending to leave USC football
- USC football’s Alijah Vera-Tucker declares for NFL Draft
- USC football adds Xavion Alford as transfer from Texas
- USC Podcast: RoT Radio Ep. 396 on the Football Season’s Fallout
- Talanoa Hufanga named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, USC football with five first-teamers
In addition to the glimmer of hope for Gustin, nose tackle Josh Fatu was also able to move around some on Thursday, according to Helton. He is now a gametime decision as he works to return from a concussion stemming from a car accident last week.
The Trojans will almost certainly be without freshmen Stephen Carr and Josh Falo, however, The running back is still a week away from returning from a foot injury while Falo was in a walking boot on Wednesday and is not expected to be ready for Saturday.
Cornerback Iman Marshall is also sidelined by a sprained MCL.
Right tackle Chuma Edoga was able to return to practice on Thursday after sitting out on Wednesday with the stomach bug.