Tight end Daniel Imatorbhebhe will sit out the rest of the week, with an eye on coming back full speed next week. Here is the USC injury report from mock game week Thursday.
The injury saga for tight end Daniel Imatorbhebhe continued on Thursday as the redshirt sophomore was held out from practice.
Imatorbhebhe received a cortisone shot for his hip flexor, head coach Clay Helton. He will be rested for the remaining practices this week.
“Hopefully with a couple days off here and some medical attention he’ll be ready to go next week,” Helton said.
The Trojans will hold a mock game on Saturday and Imatorbhebhe will be expected to go through the walkthrough as normal, but he will be given time for the cortisone to take effect.
USC Injury Report:
- Out for season: LB Tayler Katoa (knee), CB Jonathan Lockett (hip), S Isaiah Pola-Mao (shoulder)
- Out: LB Matt Bayle (undisclosed), OLB Hunter Echols (hip), TE Daniel Imatorbhebhe (hip), WR Michael Pittman (ankle), OL Cole Smith (knee), OT Nathan Smith (knee), OL Viane Talamaivao (ankle)
- Limited: TE Josh Falo (knee), CB Je’Quari Godfrey (knee), OL Alijah Vera-Tucker (hamstring), WR Keyshawn “Pie” Young (hamstring)
Though Helton said he expects to have Imatorbhebhe back full speed soon, the prospect of him missing the season opener against Western Michigan is now looming larger than ever.
“I don’t think he’s all the way there yet but his 95 percent is faster than a lot of people’s 100,” Helton said. “I think he’s really close, but if not, it’ll be next man up and we’re very confident in those guys that are around.”
More from Reign of Troy
- Markese Stepp enters transfer portal intending to leave USC football
- USC football’s Alijah Vera-Tucker declares for NFL Draft
- USC football adds Xavion Alford as transfer from Texas
- USC Podcast: RoT Radio Ep. 396 on the Football Season’s Fallout
- Talanoa Hufanga named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, USC football with five first-teamers
If Imatorbhebhe were to miss any game time Tyler Petite and Cary Angeline would be expected to pick up the slack, with walk-on Austin Applebee and freshmen Josh Falo and Erik Krommenhoek perhaps factoring in.
TRENDING: Game-By-Game USC Win-Loss Predictions
Imatorbhebhe isn’t the only key Trojan sitting out the rest of this week. Right guard Viane Talamaivao was once again held from practice, Helton said, clarifying that the senior lineman’s injury is an ankle problem.
Talamaivao had a problem with his ankle during the spring, but this is the other ankle.
“We just want to make sure that it’s not a re-occurring thing, so we’re being ultra-protective,” Helton said. “Obviously [he’s] a guy that’s been a three-year starter going into his fourth year. He knows the playbook inside and out, so it’s more important of getting him healthy and getting him ready to go.”