The Trojans opened fall camp on Saturday with a few minor health concerns. Here’s the USC injury report from Day 1 of Fall Camp.
The first day of USC Football’s 2017 fall camp was a successful outing, with players jumping right back into the action and no major injury setbacks to be concerned over.
However, not all Trojans were able to join in the festivities.
Safety Matt Lopes, who received a scholarship last fall after serving as a walk-on, is expected to miss the next week with a dislocated toe. When healthy, Lopes could be a contributor for the Trojans as a veteran figure in the defensive backfield.
Tight end Daniel Imatorbhebhe suited up and participated in practice, but he sat out the final periods. The redshirt sophomore tweaked his hamstring during PRPs earlier this summer, but it does not appear he will be limited going forward.
Also missing out, offensive lineman Frank Martin is dealing with a hamstring tweak, which will keep him day-to-day for the time being.
USC Injury Report:
- Out for camp: LB Tayler Katoa (knee), CB Jonathan Lockett (hip), OT Nathan Smith (knee)
- Out: S Matt Lopes (toe)
- Questionable: OL Frank Martin (hamstring)
- Limited: TE Daniel Imatorbhebhe (hamstring), OL Toa Lobendahn (knee), OL Viane Talamaivao (elbow)
Cornerback Jonathan Lockett won’t be returning to action so soon. The senior defensive back is out indefinitely with a hip problem, which will likely require surgery.
More from Reign of Troy
- Markese Stepp enters transfer portal intending to leave USC football
- USC football’s Alijah Vera-Tucker declares for NFL Draft
- USC football adds Xavion Alford as transfer from Texas
- USC Podcast: RoT Radio Ep. 396 on the Football Season’s Fallout
- Talanoa Hufanga named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, USC football with five first-teamers
While head coach Clay Helton said earlier this week that offensive guard Viane Talamaivao will not be 100 percent cleared for action until August 8, after undergoing elbow surgery during the spring, the lineman was active during practice. He was spelled at times by Jordan Austin.
As expected, linebacker Tayler Katoa and offensive tackle Nathan Smith are out with ACL injuries. Smith injured his knee ahead of the 2017 Rose Bowl, but a timetable for his return has not been set.
Smith injured his knee ahead of the 2017 Rose Bowl, but a timetable for his return has not been set.
Katoa, an early enrollee, went down with his injury during spring camp earlier this year. The standard nine-month recovery time for ACL injuries means he will miss the 2017 season, taking a redshirt year.