Clay Helton announced Monday that he will not name a starter as the USC football quarterback battle will continue through the fall.
The battle to become the next USC football quarterback will wage on.
Head coach Clay Helton revealed Monday that neither Max Browne nor Sam Darnold grabbed hold of the starting job just yet. The two will continue to compete following the summer.
“There were a number of open positions on our team this spring where players performed very well, including the quarterbacks,” Helton said. “I met with them today and told them that, based on how well they played, I have decided to continue the quarterback competition into Fall Camp. I will wait until then to name a starter.”
Helton told reporters on Saturday after the Spring Game that Browne remained ahead of Darnold but that he would not name a starter until there was sufficient separation between the two.
More from Reign of Troy
- Markese Stepp enters transfer portal intending to leave USC football
- USC football’s Alijah Vera-Tucker declares for NFL Draft
- USC football adds Xavion Alford as transfer from Texas
- USC Podcast: RoT Radio Ep. 396 on the Football Season’s Fallout
- Talanoa Hufanga named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, USC football with five first-teamers
Browne entered spring as the heir-apparent to Cody Kessler, who finished out his final season of eligibility in 2015. The redshirt junior put together an assured camp but the emergence of Darnold has made the competition for starting places more interesting.
Darnold impressed during fall camp last year but redshirted behind Kessler and Browne. During his first spring, he has showcased a strong arm and a more mobile skillset.
On Saturday at USC’s Spring Game, both Browne and Darnold proved to be proficient passers. Browne threw three touchdowns on the day while Darnold completed 6-of-7 passes.
Browne will remain the favorite to land the job when Fall Camp begins. However, every week that Darnold can extend the competition his chances of pulling off the upset grow.