The Trojans offered a pair of big 2017 defensive linemen Tuesday, plus a round up of USC football news from around the web.
Can’t get enough USC football and basketball news? We’ve got your morning dose of all the best content from around the web concerning the men of Troy.
1st & 10:
First Take… Two big defensive lineman received offers from USC on Tuesday as the Trojans continue to rebuild in the defensive trenches for the future.
Las Vegas defensive tackle Greg Rogers called USC his dream school when he reported the offer on Twitter.
A four-star prospect, Rogers is 6-foot-4, 280 pounds as he enters his senior season at Centennial High School. He is the No. 9 defensive tackle in the class, according to the 247Sports composite.
The Trojans extended another offer to four-star Virginia Beach defensive end Jordan Williams:
Williams is 6-foot-5, 245 pounds and checks in as the No. 19 weakside defensive end in the 2017 class.
USC added four defensive lineman in the 2016 class and five in the 2015 class but the combination of scholarship reductions and five graduating seniors departing has made the line a position of emphasis in recruiting. So expect more defensive line targets where these come from.
And Ten USC Football and Basketball News Links…
- Bleacher Report: Darreus Rogers is among the players who could be beaten out for a starting job by a freshman in 2016.
- Reign of Troy: Kicker Alex Wood will not be returning to the team for the 2016 season. He has one year of eligibility remaining, but is graduating this May.
- Reign of Troy: USC’s early 2016 schedule is daunting, but that doesn’t mean it will define the Trojans’ season.
- LA Times: Lindsey Thiry’s latest mailbag covers defensive line depth (USC has it — sort of), freshmen starters (there won’t be many), the power run offense (expect it) and Max Browne (expect him).
- ESPN: Does Oregon have the most to prove in 2016? Chantel Jennings is buying it, but Kevin Gemmell is selling, saying USC is the one who needs to prove something.
- ESPN: David Lombardi’s post-signing day Pac-12 power rankings have USC in the middle of the pack, at No. 6 in fact.
- USCFootball.com: Ryan Abraham runs down some scholarship math for USC in 2016.
- Athlon Sports: Ronald Jones is one of the top 25 running backs in the country going into spring camp. Justin Davis also appears at No. 50.
- Bleacher Report: Unsurprisingly, USC vs. Alabama is the best game of Week 1 for 2016.
- RipsIt Blog: Jordan Moore breaks down how Projans fared in the NFL this season.
Stat of the Day:
USC was third in the Pac-12 in sacks last season with 37 but no Trojan defensive lineman was in the Top 25 for sacks in the conference.