Can’t get enough USC football news? We’ve got your morning dose of all the best content from around the web concerning the men of Troy.
1st & 10:
First Take… USC’s players are all in on Clay Helton.
This isn’t all in like they were with Ed Orgeron, forming Os at midfield or embracing the interim coach like a father. This is a campaign and it is gaining steam.
ESPN asked the question in a headline “Should USC take the interim tag off Clay Helton?”
The players answered:
Even former players echoed the sentiment:
The social media campaign won’t be enough to get Helton the job. Winning will determine that hire much more than hashtags. However, Pat Haden should take note because the players are fast approaching the point of no return.
If Helton’s Trojans drop the next two contests then moving on will be easy. If, however, USC pulls together and makes it to the conference championship game, selecting anyone but Helton could result in a mutiny beyond the disappointment seen upon Coach O’s departure.
The pros and cons of retaining Helton can be hashed and rehashed by opposing sides, but when players are this vocal about their preference in a hire, it’s hard not to take their opinions seriously, for better or worse.
And Ten USC Football News Links…
- LA Times: Staying on topic, Bill Plaschke wonders if USC already has their man in Helton.
- Reign Of Troy: We covered five things to watch for when USC takes on Oregon, including how the Ducks’ success rides on Vernon Adams.
- Reign Of Troy: Speaking of the Oregon QB, Adams has an awkward tattoo on his arm considering his current affiliation, but he’s try to explain the interlocking “SC” as an homage to growing up in southern California.
- ESPN: Kyle Bonagura predicts USC to finish out the season in the Foster Farms Bowl. That seems to be a popular pick, showing a lack of faith in the Trojans’ ability to beat the Ducks and Bruins in consecutive weeks.
- Sports Illustrated: Zac Ellis gives USC a bit more credit by predicting their bowl berth in the Alamo Bowl.
- OC Register: USC has reason to fear Vernon Adams, as Michael Lev details. Clay Helton called him a defensive coordinator’s nightmare.
- LA Times: In weird “chip on the shoulder” news, Su’a Cravens took it personal that Oregon never offered him.
- USCFootball.com: The week’s first practice was all about a “Next Man Up” mentality. Dan Weber takes us through some of those replacement options at linebacker and on the offensive line.
- Reign Of Troy: JuJu Smith-Schuster is one of ten semi-finalists for the Biletnikoff Award.
- Reign Of Troy: USC made it back into the College Football Playoff rankings as the second-to-last team at No. 24.
Stat of the Day:
USC is 3-3 all-time when ranked No. 22 in the AP Poll. Oregon is 0-4 all-time when ranked No. 23.