Can’t get enough USC football news? We’ve got your morning dose of all the best content from around the web concerning the men of Troy.
1st & 10:
First Take… Cody Kessler was named a semi-finalist for the Davey O’Brien Award, which is given each year to the nation’s best quarterback.
The redshirt senior is one of 17 semi-finalists, including fellow Pac-12 quarterbacks Luke Falk of Washington State, Jared Goff of Cal, Kevin Hogan of Stanford and Josh Rosen of UCLA.
Kessler has thrown for 2,268 yards and 18 touchdowns with just five interceptions. His quarterback rating of 167.58 is the top mark in the conference and sets him ninth in the nation.
Finalists for the award will be named on Nov. 24 while a winner will be declared on Dec. 10.
And Ten USC Football News Links…
- Reign of Troy: Su’a Cravens was named as a semi-finalist for the Butkus Award.
- LA Times: JuJu Smith-Schuster underwent surgery on his fractured hand Monday, leaving his availability for USC’s game against Arizona in doubt.
- Reign of Troy: What five things did we learn from USC vs. Cal? For one, the Trojans might actually be a true run-first team now.
- Reign of Troy: Why hasn’t Ronald Jones II been given more carries? Clay Helton explained that pass protection may be the issue.
- ESPN: Greg Katz checked in with USC fans about their feelings on the planned Coliseum renovations. The responses were mixed.
- ESPN: Clay Helton is determined to reestablish USC’s identity as a power run team.
- Bleacher Report: Cam Smith was Ben Kercheval’s top college football freshman from the month of October.
- Bleacher Report: This week in Bowl-Projections-That-Should-Have-USC-Fans-Salivating, Bryan Fischer put USC in the Alamo Bowl against Oklahoma.
- OC Register: Michael Lev grades USC’s performance against Cal, giving the offense a B-minus and the defense a B-plus
- LA Times: Jalen Greene has proven himself as a receiver for USC after switch from cornerback, as Gary Klein details.
Stat of the Day:
Kessler needs 1,674 yards to break Carson Palmer’s single-season passing record at USC. Though he came within 116 yards of breaking the record last year, he would need to average 418.5 yards per game in the Trojans final four contests to do it this year.
Tweets of the Day: