Can’t get enough USC football news? We’ve got your morning dose of all the best content from around the web concerning the men of Troy.
1st & 10:
First Take… So it begins. Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy denied interest in the USC job on Wednesday, just two days after the firing of Steve Sarkisian.
Why was Gundy commenting on the opening in the first place, especially since few in the LA market have trumpeted his name? USA Today published a list of potential candidates after Sarkisian was removed and the 48-year old’s name was on it alongside other heavy long shots like Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly and Air Force’s Troy Calhoun.
Gundy isn’t the first coach to be asked about the rampant speculation that will accompany USC’s nationwide search for a new head coach. Though he seems to be the first one from the college ranks to outright deny interest.
Houston’s Tom Herman gave the typical response that he’s focused on the Cougar’s next game and not coaching rumors.
At NFL level, Jack Del Rio wasted no time to confirm that he is not interested in leaving the Raiders.
And Ten USC Football News Links…
- Reign of Troy: Sarkisian broke his silence Wednesday night to thank his supporters and wish the Trojan football team well on Twitter.
- Reign of Troy: We looked at five things to keep an eye on against Notre Dame, including the Irish’s dismal record after playing Navy.
- OC Register: Michael Lev’s quick hitters from USC’s practice yesterday mentions the preventative measures taken to keep Tre Madden healthy. The back is dealing with a sore knee and has been limited.
- OC Register: Relive the 2005 USC-Notre Dame game with this cool oral history with players who were in and around the action. It’s complete with Brady Quinn bitterness, which is always fun.
- LA Times: Don’t tell Adoree’ Jackson he’s doing too much. He was in for 94 plays against Washington yet said after practice Wednesday, “I want to do more.”
- ESPN: Carson Palmer weighed in on the Sarkisian controversy calling it “unfortunate” while putting his eggs in the Pat Haden basket by calling him “as good an athletic director as there is.”
- Bleacher Report: Ben Kercheval breaks down the pros and cons of USC looking to the NFL for its next head coach.
- Coaching Search: Chris Vannini looks into 10 factor that coaching candidates may want to think about when evaluating the potential USC job.
- College Spun: The shenanigans around USC will never end. Wednesday, there was the mini-est of controversies when a cameraman showed up to the Trojans’ practice with a Notre Dame shirt on.
- Deseret News: Even the local paper in Utah thinks Kyle Whittingham looks like a great fit for USC, as Brad Rock says Ute fans have cause to worry.
Stat of the Day:
An unranked USC team facing a ranked Notre Dame team in South Bend has won just once in the series history — in 1971.
Tweets of the Day:
More from Reign of Troy
- Markese Stepp enters transfer portal intending to leave USC football
- USC football’s Alijah Vera-Tucker declares for NFL Draft
- USC football adds Xavion Alford as transfer from Texas
- USC Podcast: RoT Radio Ep. 396 on the Football Season’s Fallout
- Talanoa Hufanga named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, USC football with five first-teamers