USC football head coach Steve Sarkisian will take a leave of absence, leaving the Trojans without a head coach and more than a few questions swirling about the direction of the program.
As usual, social media was first on the scene to react to the surprise news on Sunday, once it was revealed that Sarkisian did not attend practice.
Sarkisian’s Trojans were beaten at home by Washington Thursday, 17-12, in a game which had many USC fans turning against the head coach. With the second loss of the season, USC dropped out of the polls with a 3-2 record and chances of winning the Pac-12 looking less and less likely.
Following the sloppy showing on Thursday night, more than a few national pundits speculated that Sarkisian’s seat at USC was getting hot. That was not helped by offseason troubles for the head coach which saw him embarrass himself while intoxicated on stage in front of Trojan boosters at the annual Salute to Troy rally.
Here’s how Twitter responded to the latest developments:
More from Reign of Troy
- Markese Stepp enters transfer portal intending to leave USC football
- USC football’s Alijah Vera-Tucker declares for NFL Draft
- USC football adds Xavion Alford as transfer from Texas
- USC Podcast: RoT Radio Ep. 396 on the Football Season’s Fallout
- Talanoa Hufanga named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, USC football with five first-teamers