USC football '23 recruiting class takes hit with major DB decommitting

Donte Williams, USC Football, USC Trojans
Donte Williams, USC Football, USC Trojans / Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

USC football has just received a decommitment from Coppell four-star Safety Braxton Myers. It's not the biggest surprise, as Ole Miss had become players for Myers even after his commitment to USC. Now, most of 247Sports' Crystal Ball Predictions for Myers are going to Ole Miss. He is now listed as having a 71.4% chance of playing for Mississippi, and just a 28.6% chance of playing for the Trojans.

This decommitment has now bumped USC down to having the second-best recruiting class in the Pac-12, and not the best anymore. USC has moved down to 14th nationally in the recruiting rankings (all recruiting rankings and ratings in article are as of 247Sports), one spot below Oregon for the Pac-12 lead.

It's no surprise, as Myers was a phenomenal prospect for USC. He's the No. 12 Safety in the country for this class, and the No. 184 overall player in the nation for the class. One of just 16 commits for USC--he was very important.

SC is now down to just five solely defensive commitments. They only have two solely Defensive Back commits right now, and just one (Maliki Crawford) has more than three stars.

USC football also has just nine four/five star recruits at this point.

USC football's disappointing recruiting class to this point can be resolved, however, with winning. Winning is always the best recruiter, and if SC continues to play as well as they did last week against Rice, they'll be grabbing new commitments left and right. They'll also potentially flip players from other schools. Heck, Myers might even come back.

Game-by-game predictions for USC in 2022. dark. Next

So far, they most certainly have been hitting expectations on the field, jumping up four spots in the AP Top 25 poll to No. 10 after just the first week of the season. This was the result of a dominant 66-14 win over the Rice Owls in the Coli. Perhaps Myers will see what he's missing, but as of right now, he's undecided at best in terms of his chances of committing to the Trojans.