Practice No. 17 of USC Football fall camp had the Trojans debuting a new look, with sleeveless practice jerseys for Friday walk-throughs.
The USC Football team took to Howard Jones Field for the penultimate practice of fall camp, focused on situational mastery during a “mock Friday” walk-through.
As it was a light day of practice, the story line for the day revolved around the Trojans’ fashion. They sported new padded, sleeveless walk-through jerseys.
“I like what Nike did with this,” cornerback Iman Marshall said after practice. “This is something I really like. It was fun and exciting to be able to wear them.”
The cornerback is looking forward to wearing the “sweet new tech” on Friday’s during the season and perhaps in pregame.
There is one Trojan who has a lot less interest in wearing the new jerseys again: head coach Clay Helton, who modeled the new look for the team.
“I walked in with one yesterday and said what do you all think?” he said. “I’m a little bit overweight for one of those tight jerseys, but they put it on and they looked a lot better than me.”
News and Notes
- For the second-straight day there were no new injuries to report. Wide receiver Michael Pittman is still using a scooter to get around with a boot on his foot, however, fellow receiver Velus Jones was out of a boot on Friday.
- The Trojans practiced kickoff situations like onsides recoveries, pooch kicks and everything else John Baxter could conceive of being thrown at his kickoff coverage team.
- USC’s first team lineup has remained largely unchanged since Steven Mitchell was elevated into a starting spot at wide receiver last week.
- Starters on offense: QB Sam Darnold, RB Ronald Jones II, WR1 Jalen Greene, WR2 Steven Mitchell, SLOT Deontay Burnett, LT Toa Lobendahn, LG Chris Brown, C Nico Falah, RG Viane Talamaivao, RT Chuma Edoga, TE Tyler Petite/Daniel Imatorbhebhe
- Starters on defense: DE Rasheem Green, NT Josh Fatu, DT Malik Dorton, OLB Porter Gustin, SLB Uchenna Nwosu, WLB John Houston, MLB Cameron Smith, CB1 Iman Marshall, CB2 Jack Jones, NKL Ajene Harris, SS Marvell Tell, FS Chris Hawkins
RELATED STORY: Predicting USC’s Depth Chart for the Season Opener
- The Trojans will scrimmage at the Coliseum on Saturday, with an emphasis on the second and third team, particularly young players who will be given a chance to show what they can do. In particular, Helton said he will look at which receivers will step up in Michael Pittman’s absence and how the nose tackles perform.
- A scout for the Miami Dolphins was on hand.