The 2016 Pro Bowl proved that USC football’s status as an NFL Factory remains intact with six selections tops among all schools.
Can’t get enough USC football and basketball news? We’ve got your morning dose of all the best content from around the web concerning the men of Troy.
1st & 10:
First Take… With Signing Day fast approaching, the Pro Bowl turned out to be a good display of one of USC’s strongest recruiting pitches as an NFL Factory.
The Trojans had four players participate in the game, two on each side of the contest. Team Irvin boasted Jurrell Casey and Tyron Smith while Team Rice featured Clay Matthews and Everson Griffen. Irvin’s team took the day 49-27.
Casey, who was a replacement addition, nabbed an interception for the winning side against Derrick Carr. On the other end of things, Matthews was second on Team Rice with six tackles. Griffen had a single tackle on the day.
In addition to the four who played, USC had former players Carson Palmer and Ryan Kalil also selected to this year’s Pro Bowl. Kalil did not participate because he will be playing in the Super Bowl with the Panthers. Palmer sat out due to injury.
And Ten USC Football and Basketball News Links…
- USCFootball.com: Dan Weber checks in with USC’s departing walk ons and says goodbye.
- ESPN: Could O.J. Simpson have CTE? The doctor who inspired the movie “Concussion” would bet his medical license on it.
- ESPN: Ted Miller projects JuJu Smith-Schuster, Zach Banner, Damien Mama, Cameron Smith, and Adoree’ Jackson as first team All-Pac-12 selections for 2016 in his latest mailbag.
- Bleacher Report: Adam Kramer tells the story of how Pete Carroll tried to land Marlin’s star Giancarlo Stanton, back when he went by the name Mike.
- Sports Illustrated: Florida State commit Jamel Cook is one of nine major recruits who Zac Ellis thinks could flip by signing day. Cook visited USC this weekend.
- Fox Sports: Bruce Feldman asked 35 college coaches which recruit they think will make the biggest impact in 2016. Among their answers were USC commit Tyler Vaughns and targets Jack Jones and Rashan Gary.
- Reign of Troy: USC basketball got their revenge against Washington at the Galen Center on Saturday.
- RipsIt Blog: Caroline Deisley breaks down the victory over the Huskies in 3-point fashion.
- USCFootball.com: Shotgun Spratling has another three takeaways from the Galen Center.
- Daily News: Mark Whicker explains how USC’s ability to clamp down on Washington’s dangerous scorer Andrew Andrews was key to the win.
Stat of the Day:
USC was tied for the most Pro Bowlers in 2016 with six selections alongside Georgia and LSU.