Can’t get enough USC football and basketball news? We’ve got your morning dose of all the best content from around the web concerning the men of Troy.
1st & 10:
First Take… Nine down, one to go.
USC’s coaching staff under Clay Helton is slowly but surely taking shape, with the hiring of Tommie Robinson as running backs coach on Tuesday clarifying more than a few questions about roles within the group.
Robinson will return to his post as running backs coach after a two-year sabbatical at Texas. Tyson Helton will move from running backs to quarterbacks after a two-week stint with the former title. And finally, Johnny Nansen can put down roots on the defensive side of the ball where he has been officially named linebackers coach in place of Peter Sirmon.
Now it’s just a waiting game to find out who the Trojans will bring in to replace Chris Wilson as the new defensive line coach.
The mother of Rashan Gary, the nation’s top recruit and defensive lineman who visited USC over the weekend, told Scout’s Brian Dohn that USC expects to make that hire by Wednesday.
Well, folks, it’s Wednesday. So hold onto your hats. Once a defensive line coach is in place, the recruiting roller coaster will really get going.
And Ten USC Football and Basketball News Links…
- Reign of Troy: Alabama is a 14-point favorite over USC for the season opener in September. If its any consolation, the last time the Trojans were a double-digit underdog good things happened.
- Fox Sports: USC will face four of the top ten teams hardest hit by early NFL departures, as chosen by Bruce Feldman. UCLA, Cal, Notre Dame and Arizona all made the cut.
- Reign of Troy: Damon Johnson, the country’s sixth-ranked long snapper committed to USC as a preferred walk-on Tuesday.
- LA Times: USC target Connor Murphy hosted Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh for a sleepover at his home last night.
- ESPN: Johnny Curren runs through the status of USC’s 2015 redshirts, including Sam Darnold who he thinks could make the QB competition interesting.
- ESPN: Adoree’ Jackson checked in at No. 20 of David Lombardi’s top 25 players of the Pac-12 postseason.
- Bleacher Report: Brian Pedersen projects Adoree’ Jackson, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Zach Banner and Cameron Smith to make the All-Pac-12 first team in 2016.
- RipsIt Blog: Jordan Moore runs down the performances of the Projans competing in the NFL Divisional playoffs last weekend.
- Sports Illustrated: USC ranked No. 16 in Colin Becht’s Way-Too-Early Top 25.
- Reign of Troy: USC basketball great Sam Clancy is being inducted into the Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Hall of Honor.
Stat of the Day:
USC has not been a double-digit underdog since 2011. On both occasions that year, against Notre Dame and Oregon, the Trojans won.