Can’t get enough USC football? We’ve got your morning dose of all the best content from around the web concerning the men of Troy.
1st & 10:
Brand vs. Salesman… Which matters more, the brand or the salesman?
That’s the question that seems to keep popping up when it comes to USC and recruiting, especially in light of yesterday’s news that Tee Martin became the second USC assistant this year to be named Pac-12 Recruiter of the Year. Rivals recognized Martin while Scout handed their top spot to Marques Tuiasosopo.
During Steve Sarkisian’s Signing Day press conference he talked about the power of the Trojan brand and there’s no getting around the fact that USC sells itself to an extent.
Still, take nothing away from Martin and Tuiasosopo, who have secured major signings at a near-perfect rate.
Pete Carroll and Lane Kiffin’s staffs pulled in top classes as well, but they didn’t seem to do so with the same kind of blanket that this staff has produced in just two years.
Now this staff just needs to parlay these recruiter of the year awards into coach of the year awards.
In Other News…
- Who will be USC’s number one weapon in 2015? Brian Pedersen thinks it is Adoree’ Jackson (Bleacher Report)
- Speaking of Jackson, Kyle Kensing freshmen predicts the arrival of defensive reinforcements could mean more Adoree’ on offense. (Bleacher Report)
- Iman Marshall may be the biggest reinforcement the Trojans will bring in this year. Shotgun Spratling has the dish on his business decision to come to USC. (Scout)
- USC fans were not exactly enthused about the hiring of Bob Connelly as the new offensive line coach. Greg Katz explores just how much Connelly has on the line in his new job. (ESPN)
- Mel Kiper has Leonard Williams at No. 2 in his latest mock draft, heading to Tennesse. (ESPN)
- The wide receiver depth chart should be one of the most intriguing things to watch at USC this season. Michael Lev has a look at the pre-spring depth chart. (OC Register)
- Former USC cornerback Terrell Thomas has decided to retire from football after suffering three ACL tears in his six season career with the New York Giants. (LA Times)
- Bad but not terrible news for USC basketball: freshman guard Jordan McLaughlin is day-to-day with a left shoulder injury which he suffered against Oregon. (OC Register)
- Five-star quarterback Shea Patterson is set to announce his college decision on Tuesday. He’ll be picking between USC, Ole Miss and LSU, but the money is on the Rebels. (Reign Of Troy)
- It’s never to early to start projecting national awards, as we’ve learned from the Heisman discussion. So we took a crack at guessing which Trojans could be in the running for national awards in 2015. (Reign Of Troy)
Stat of the Day:
Since 1998 every team that has won a national title except for Oklahoma in 2000 has had at least two top ten national signing classes in the four years before a title. (via Fox Sports)