Can’t get enough USC football? We’ve got your morning dose of all the best content from around the web concerning the men of Troy.
1st & 10:
The Vernon Adams factor…In the wake of losing Marcus Mariota to the NFL draft, the Oregon Ducks seemed to have fallen a peg in the race for the 2015 Pac-12 title.
The high expectations surrounding USC placed the Trojans as the new favorite to take back the conference, but that might have to be reevaluated given the news that Eastern Washington quarterback Vernon Adams will transfer to Oregon for his final season of college ball.
Adams is a decorated FCS quarterback and threw seven touchdowns against Washington in EWU’s 59-52 loss in Seattle last year.
He might not match the elite levels that Mariota reached, but Adams’ potential to be the next Russell Wilson in terms of senior year transfer success should have the Ducks looking much stronger in their bid to repeat as Pac-12 champions.
In Other News…
- Our NFL combine previews continue with Nelson Agholor, who needs to convince scouts that he has elite speed. (Reign Of Troy)
- How can Cody Kessler improve in 2015? Nick Cox looked at the tape to find out. (Reign Of Troy)
- Ted Miller examines the Pac-12’s rash of close games in 2014, noting USC’s particularly poor form in them. According to Miller, the Trojans better get a move on figuring out how to close. (ESPN)
- Greg Katz talks about the ways Steve Sarkisian will try to keep the momentum from the 2015 recruiting class going through 2016. (ESPN)
- Michael Lev has a breakdown of the pre-spring depth chart at quarterback. (OC Register)
- Kyle Kensing looks at how Sarkisian’s recruiting successes have upped the ante for USC earlier than expected. (Bleacher Report)
- Andrew McKagan has some extensive film study on Rasheem Green, who he sees as a potential replacement for Leonard Williams. (Conquest Chronicles)
- Garrett Breeland, the former USC linebacker whose son signed an LOI with Oregon last week, died of a heart attack yesterday. RIP (Inside USC)
- Richard “Batman” Wood, the three-time All-American linebacker from the 1970s, is the latest to be featured by USC for Black History Month. (RipsIt Blog)
- Valentine’s Day is coming up, but don’t worry if you haven’t gotten a card for your favorite Trojan fan. We’ve got you covered with some USC-themed designs. (Reign Of Troy)
Stat of the Day:
In two games against FBS opponents Washington and Oregon State, Vernon Adams threw for 886 yards on 54-of-76 passing with 11 touchdowns and zero interceptions. (Via Fox Sports)