Can’t get enough USC football? We’ve got your morning dose of all the best content from around the web concerning the men of Troy.
1st & 10:
Make, Not Break… As the fan bases at USC, Ohio State, Arizona State and Utah prepare themselves for the Porter Gustin announcement later this morning, it feels necessary to point out (to Trojan fans at least) that Gustin’s commitment is not make or break. It’s only make.
Maybe that is pessimism trying to prepare the fanbase for a let down. Or maybe it is the voice of reason preparing to calm the storm.
One way or another, Gustin is a major recruit who would be a major addition to any recruiting class. But he is not the end-all-be-all of this USC class.
The Trojans already have a stud linebacker in Osa Masina. They’re probably going to get another in John Houston on Wednesday. Yet another four-star guy, Cam Smith, is already enrolled.
Gustin is a potential cherry on top of an already stellar class.
On the other hand, Signing Day brings along its own perils. Iman Marshall? Rasheem Green? Those are make-or-break prospects and Steve Sarkisian’s ability to close on them is a much bigger deal.
In Other News…
- The Trojans gained the commitment of Caleb Wilson, the son of defensive line coach Chris Wilson, on Monday. He played quarterback at Serra, but will join USC as a preferred walk-on tight end. (Reign Of Troy)
- A different tight end named Wilson, Jay Jay, picked ASU over a blue shirt spot at USC on Monday as well. (Reign Of Troy)
- Michael Lev gives his views on the Seahawks “worst play call ever,” USC basketball’s worst hangover ever vs. Utah, Junior Seau’s Hall of Fame election and Porter Gustin’s college choice. (OC Register)
- Tom Luginbill gives a national perspective on USC’s recruiting post-sanctions. Spoiler: Everyone else on the west should be very afraid. (ESPN)
- For the insider perspective, Bruce Feldman talked to Ryan Abraham of USCFootball.com on his The Audible podcast to talk the final four big targets of the Trojan recruiting class. (Fox Sports)
- Who is USC’s Scooby Wright, i.e. a low-star player who has made it big? Ted Miller points to Chad Wheeler. (ESPN)
- Damon Sayles lists USC among his college football teams who could win big on Signing Day. (Bleacher Report)
- The Trojans also make an appearance on Ben Kercheval’s list of teams with the most work to do before Signing Day. (Bleacher Report)
- Andrew McKagan dissected Marqise Lee’s first year in the NFL. The former Trojan showed flashes of his talent but inconsistency hurt him. (Conquest Chronicles)
- USC is celebrating Black History Month with a tribute to Sam “Bam” Cunningham. Definitely worth a read if you don’t know the story. (RipsIt Blog)
Reign Of Troy Radio:
The latest episode of Reign Of Troy Radio, host Michael Castillo chats with Alicia de Artola, the editor of Reign Of Troy, and Trenise Ferrreira of the Pac-12 Network about the Trojan commits and where they go from here.
Stat of the Day:
USC’s average star rating of 3.85 (according to Rivals), is third behind only Alabama and Florida State for 2015, with no five-stars yet committed to the Trojans.
The big four remaining targets – Iman Marshall, Porter Gustin, Rasheem Green and John Houston -each hold a five star rating.