Can’t get enough USC football? We’ve got your morning dose of all the best content from around the web concerning the men of Troy.
1st & 10:
Three more years!… Just as Lebron James began a revolution with his (in)famous words, “I’m going to take my talents to South Beach,” new USC commitment Ykili Ross may have begun his own revolution announcing his pledge to the Trojans: “For the next three years I will be attending the University of Southern California.”
Or maybe he didn’t, as evidenced by fellow recruit Marvell Tell, who pointedly committed to attend USC for the next four years.
Either way, Ross already displayed the ability to make a splash.
The next question is to wonder if that is a good thing…or a bad thing.
On the one hand, Ross was just being honest. Robert Woods, Marqise Lee and Nelson Agholor may not have said it explicitly, but there was always the assumption that three-and-done was their future (as Agholor revealed Saturday). The same goes for Leonard Williams.
Confidence is good in an athlete. Just not too much of it.
That’s the other hand. Too many talented high school athletes flame out once they reach college. More gifted athletes than Ross have been slammed back to earth. There are no guarantees and the guys making them usually eat crow.
For now, bookmark this discussion until 2018, when Ross will either be the butt of every joke or laughing his way to the bank.
How do you feel about Ykili Ross' "next three years" statement?
In Other News…
- Snoop Dog may be more loyal to USC than his Oregon-jersey-wearing ways may have indicated. When asked about the recruitment of his son, wide receiver Cordell Broadus, Snoop had an interesting response. (LA Times)
- In case you missed it, new Trojan commit Ronald Jones II wasted no time showing off his skills at the Under Armour All-American game Friday, burning through the defense with speed that should have USC fans salivating. (Reign Of Troy)
- Michael Lev reflected on the welcome addition of Jones to USC’s recruiting class, noting the importance of adding depth at running back. (OC Register)
- On a similar note, Garry Paskwietz also turned the discussion towards running back depth, noting the different roles USC’s current crop could fill. (ESPN)
- USC checks in at No. 10 in Tyler Donohue’s post-All-American games recruiting rankings. It should be noted that the Trojans moved up to No. 3 in Rivals, No. 4 in 247Sports, and No. 5 in Scout team rankings over the weekend. (Bleacher Report)
- Andrew McKagan has a nice look at where Ykili Ross will fit in for the Trojans next year. Hint: he’ll play on defense. (Conquest Chronicles)
- McKagan did the same evaluation for Tell, who fits the mold of Su’a Cravens, the do-it-all defender. (Conquest Chronicles)
- Turning the eye towards a player USC is losing, Paskwietz examines the options the Trojans have for replacing Agholor. (ESPN)
- On the hardwood, Trojan basketball appeared revitalized by youth on the way to six wins in seven games before the weekend began. (OC Register)
- Unfortunately, the men of Troy couldn’t parlay that progress into wins against Utah (RipsIt Blog) or Colorado (OC Register)