USC’s first week of fall camp is officially in the books. A few players have experienced minor injuries already, and Kiffin noted that the 75 roster limit is starting to show its adverse effects. On a brighter note, some of the athletes have also started to make cases for themselves as role players in USC’s scheme, and Silas Redd is settling in just fine.
Here are the highlights from the last practice in Week 1 of camp:
- DE Greg Townsend left practice early with what appeared to be an ankle injury.
- Aundrey Walker practiced but left early, as he is nursing a wrist injury. Kiffin said that if necessary, true freshman OT Max Tuerk would start in Walker’s place.
- George Farmer also left practice early, but before he left he did participate in one-on-one drills. He appears to be steadily recovering from agitating his hamstring.
- Lamar Dawson, who hurt his calf on Friday, was not at practice on Sunday. Hayes Pullard continues to get reps at MLB in his absence.
- CB Torin Harris did not practice but Kiffin thinks he will be back in action soon.
- The Trojans did extensive goalline drills today, which allows for spirited competition between the defense and the offense. This time around the defense outperformed the offense, always a good sign at the start of fall camp. Kiffin said players always get excited for short yardage and goal-line drills and he lauded the defense for their display.
- Things did get testy though during said goal-line drills and a ruckus erupted between some of the players. Freshman LB Jabari Ruffin did something to set veteran RB Curtis McNeal’s off, and LB Hayes Pullard had to break it up.
- USC’s battle for the right to be QB 2 remains unresolved with no clear favorite, Kiffin said at the conclusion of practice. Additionally, earlier in the week Kiffin noted he would like to have the decision between redshirt freshmen Max Wittek and Cody Kessler resolved before the season starts, but he likely won’t specify until he absolutely has to.
USC Fall Camp resumes Monday, with two-a-days scheduled for 9:20 a.m. and 3:15 p.m.
Tomorrow, we will take a closer look at some of the bigger moments from the first week of Trojan fall ball.
UPDATE: USC’s morning session is canceled, but practice is still on for 3:15.