Three & Out:
- Tuerk and Kessler Look Settled: Despite Steve Sarkisian’s backtracking over the weekend about naming USC’s starting quarterback by this Saturday, it would seem that the battle will still be won by Cody Kessler. With just three practices remaining in spring camp, the center position looks similarly settled, though Max Tuerk‘s competition for the position has been decidedly non-existent. Instead, Khaliel Rodgers and Toa Lobendahn have focused on the guard positions flanking Tuerk. There was plenty of guess work going into the spring about Tuerk’s place on the line. Having an answer so quickly in the year is decidedly refreshing. On top of that, having an established pair at center and quarterback will give Sarkisian a solid base to build around moving into the fall.
- Lee’s Stock Keeps Falling: Todd McShay’s latest mock draft has Marqise Lee continue to fall down draft boards. This time around, McShay projects the Chip Kelly’s Eagles to take the receiver at No. 22, reuniting him with former Trojan quarterback Matt Barkley. Over at CBS, Rob Rang, Pete Prisco, and Will Brinson all have Lee dropping even further, heading to the 49ers at No. 30. Lee’s pedestrian Pro Day didn’t help him on the heels of a subpar 40-yard dash at the NFL combine, but it is still jarring to see such a transcendent talent drop as Lee has.
- Cassie Harberts Living the Dream: Fresh off an unlikely Pac-12 Tournament Championship, USC forward Cassie Harberts is set to launch her pro career with the Atlanta Dream of the WNBA, who selected the Trojan 20th overall. As it happens, former USC women’s basketball coach Michael Cooper, who coached Harberts during her first three seasons, is Atlanta’s head coach. Harberts is seventh on USC’s scoring charts, eight in rebounds and third in free throws.
They said it:
“You came to ‘SC because you’re capable of winning one-on-ones.”
- Defensive line coach Chris Wilson, to his players during Saturday’s practice.
Tweets of the Day:
— Cassie Harberts (@Cassie_11) April 15, 2014
- USC Football: Will Sark Feature a Running Back by Committee in 2014? (Bleacher Report)
- Notre Dame to install artificial turf, lose tall-grass defense tactic (Los Angeles Times)
- USC has reason to be hopeful next year (Daily News)
- Mic’d Up: Chris Wilson (RipsIt Blog)
- USC Women’s Basketball Adds Beth Burns and Taja Edwards To Coaching Staff (RipsIt Blog)
- USC Spring Football: Michael Hutchings Noticing Physical Change (Conquest Chronicles)
- Texas football: Former USC QB Max Wittek leaning toward Longhorns (Sports Day)