Three & Out:
- Josh Shaw is a cornerback: There we have it. From the horse’s mouth, we now know that Josh “Take One For The Team” Shaw has prepared himself to line up with the cornerbacks this season, at least once his foot is out of a walking boot. What does that mean? The coaching staff clearly has more faith in the thin safety group than the equally thin cornerback group, even with a slew of reinforcements set to arrive over the summer. It helps that a talent like Leon McQuay III is poised to step in at the position Shaw would have been competing for and that Su’a Cravens has such a tight lock on the strong safety position. Comparatively, cornerback presents far more questions marks that Shaw could more easily provide clarity for. Presumably, Shaw’s veteran presence in the unit means the focus will shift to filling just one of the two available spots instead of both.
- Jalen Cope-Fitzpatrick: Has Steve Sarkisian found his next great hyphenated tight end? Jalen Cope-Fitzpatrick was thrust into a starring role this spring with the departure of Xavier Grimble and the injuries of Randall Telfer. The duo has overshadowed him throughout his Trojan career and with both of them out of the way at the moment there could not be a better time for him to shine. Sarkisian praised his focus on Tuesday and playmaking on Thursday. As one of the players with the most to gain this spring, he will be one to keep an eye on.
- The 12th Man Bruins A Series: Last year we learned that the rumored series between USC and Texas A&M had been axed, presumably due to
the unwritten rule that SEC schools don’t face out-of-conference opponents with a pulseSEC scheduling conflicts. Today we learned that UCLA doesn’t have pulsethe Aggies have changed their mind about a potential trip to Los Angeles, opting to schedule a home-and-home with the crosstown rival Bruins during the 2016 and 2017 seasons.
They said it:
“I promised my mom that I was going to graduate with a degree. The NFL will always be there.”
– Linebacker Hayes Pullard on his decision to return to USC for his senior season.
Tweets of the Day:
So in 2017, USC plays Texas and UCLA plays Texas A&M. Prepare yourselves now for Big Brother and Little Brother narratives aplenty.
— Reign of Troy (@ReignofTroy) March 13, 2014
Texas A&M is 0-3 against USC and lost those games by a combined score of 98-35. I would schedule UCLA, too. They're 2-2 against them
— Josh Webb (Twist) (@FightOnTwist) March 13, 2014
- Sarkisian Says Trojans Two Weeks From Tackling (Reign Of Troy)
- There’s a lot for USC’s defense to digest this spring (Los Angeles Times)
- USC’s Shaw prepares to take cover role (Orange County Register)
- USC’s Josh Shaw To Play Cornerback (Reign Of Troy)
- 2014 Spring Practice #2: Notes (USC RipsIt)
- USC’s Marcus Martin gets close look from Colts at pro day (NFL.com)
- NY Jets have private meeting with USC receiver Marqise Lee after his L.A. pro day (New York Daily News)
- Chris Fowler to replace Brent Musburger on Saturday Night Football (Sports Illustrated)