The talk this morning had been around the Texas A&M and USC series in 2015 and 2016 being called off due to the impact of the SEC schedule on the Aggies, which forced them to also cancel a series with Oregon. But back it up a little bit; a USC spokesman has told Gary Klein of the LA Times that there was never a deal in the first place.
Steve Lopes, USC’s chief operating officer, said Friday that he had preliminary discussions with Texas A&M several years ago, but “they never progressed past the point of preliminary discussions and there never was a contract between the two schools.”
In a stark contrast to the news of Texas A&M’s scheduling development, Oregon senior associate athletic director Craig Pintens tweeted that the Ducks had not been contacted by A&M over the dropping of their games in 2017 and 2018, as it’s since been reported that the Aggies are still set to play UO.
For USC, it’s an interesting twist to the now dramatic twist of the schedule, though it raises questions. First, if USC never had a finalized deal with Texas A&M, why allow it to become common knowledge through assumption? And secondly, if there was never a contract, why hasn’t USC stuck a deal with another school to fill those dates?
It’s been two years since A&M decided to leave the Big 12 for the SEC, which is ample timing for either of the questions to be answered.