Lane Kiffin’s Trojans took the field for the second time during spring camp on Thursday afternoon, practicing in crisp weather on Howard Jones Field. Here’s some quick hits:
- Marqise Lee was one of a slew of players that took punts, something he has yet to do for the Trojans in an actual game. With Robert Woods moving on to the NFL, in addition to Nickell Robey, John Baxter must find two new returners, hence the tryouts. Other than Lee, surprise players of note taking punts included defensive backs Kevon Seymour and Leon McQuay III. Su’a Cravens was not one of the players.
- Lane Kiffin suggested on Tuesday that Cody Kessler won the first day of camp at quarterback, saying he would have been the MVP if it wasn’t for an interception thrown to Jabari Ruffin. Today, going to offensive drills, Kessler took first team reps. Wittek and Browne were second and third team respectively.
- Max Tuerk continued to get time at first team center, with the mainstays from last year in their same positions: Walker, Martin, Tuerk, Martinez and Graf, left to right.
- Other first teamers included D.J. Morgan at running back and Xavier Grimble at tight end.
- Visitors included Nico Falah, T.J. McDonald and the injured Gerald Bowman, who came in on crutches. Per the OC Register’s Rich Hammond, the senior safety suffered from compartment syndrome.