The Trojans returned to Howard Jones field on Tuesday to prepare for their next battle, against the Syracuse Orange at Metlife Stadium in New Jersey. Lane Kiffin spoke very favorably of the Syracuse offense and said the team will be practicing against the no-huddle offense all week.
One non-practice related note: WR Marqise Lee has been named to Paul Hornung Award Week One Honor Roll
Here are some notes:
- As this weeks’ game is away, the Trojan offense is practicing in white jerseys and the defense in red.
- USC dropped one spot in the AP poll today, but QB Matt Barkley said he doesn’t care about the rankings so being No.2 isn’t a motivating factor.
- Barkley also said that after watching film he was happy with the tempo of the game but there were a couple throws he would like to have back.
- USC’s will hold a walk-through on Friday at MetLife Stadium, something the Trojans have rarely done on road under Lane Kiffin.
- There was no tension between Matt Barkley and Marqise Lee today, after the two displayed some on-field testiness on Saturday. “We were cool five seconds after I (yelled at) him,” Barkley said.
- Lane Kiffin said today the defense needs to force/get more turnovers.
- In regards to the defensive starters who sat out against Hawaii (DE Wes Horton, LB Lamar Dawson, CB Torin Harris), Kiffin said there are many factors to consider if they automatically get their jobs back.
- With Alabama taking the No. 1 spot over USC, Kiffin said, “I’d agree with that.”
The Trojans resume practice Wednesday morning.