USC Move-In Day took place on Wednesday, where the incoming freshmen get an early start on settling into their home for the next four years. The football team also held its 18th practice Wednesday afternoon, and the backup players are continuing to progress at a rate Coach Kiffin is pleased with. Wednesday’s practice was pretty light, as the season is less than two weeks away and keeping guys healthy is of critical import.
Here are Wednesday’s happenings:
- LB Lamar Dawson (torn calf muscle) has been out for a little while not, but is reportedly on pace to be good to go for the season opener vs. Hawaii.
- LBs Dion Bailey (shoulder) and Hayes Pullard (ankle), who also missed sessions here and there, are also expected to be game-ready by Sept. 1.
- WR George Farmer said Wednesday his hamstring is 100 percent, so we might be able to see what he can really do once the season starts.
- DE Wes Horton is still out.
- The Trojans ran practice without pads today, however Kiffin plans to have the squad dress in full pads three more times before Sept. 1.
- CB Nickell Robey had the defensive play of the afternoon when he dove to break up a pass from Barkley intended for WR Marqise Lee.
- Earlier in the week, Coach Kiffin said that he felt like QB Matt Barkley and WR Robert Woods had gotten back into sync, and Woods echoed that sentiment at the end of today’s practice. Woods missed all of spring ball while nursing an ankle injury.
- QB Max Wittek completed two long passes to Farmer during the workout, both of which coming while Farmer had two defenders on him.
- Kiffin spoke extensively Wednesday about second-team guys who are really working on making themselves factors for this Trojan team.Lane Kiffin was pleased with the continued progress of his support players. “They’re going in the right direction,” the head coach said.
- He spotlighted WR Nelson Agholor, RB D.J. Morgan, RB Silas Redd and OT Max Tuerk as reserve players who have already gotten down the playbook.
Trojan Football Camp is set again for 3:15 on Thursday.