The second week of USC football training camp began Monday afternoon. A good amount of starters sat out today, with details to come in the following notes. Apparently the Trojans are operating under a new policy where they do not discuss injuries, so for some of these guys, reasons are unclear as to why they sat out practice. Kiffin also spoke about the ongoing USA Today situation, and his decision to withhold his vote.
Here are the happenings from the first day of Week 2:
- None of USC’s starting LBs practice today. Lamar Dawson has his foot in a boot, Dion Bailey’s arm is in a sling and Hayes Pullard had ankle taped. In their place, backups Anthony Sarao, Tony Burnett and Scott Starr got reps with the first team. While having the starters out is not ideal, it does give the younger guys more experience for when their name is called come game day.
- Kiffin would not discuss why Pullard had his ankle tape, but Pullard insisted that he is not hurt. Also, because of the new policy where players do not discuss injuries, Bailey did not disclose why his arm was in a sling either.
- WR George Farmer (hamstring) is back at practice in a limited capacity.
Play of the Day:
- George Farmer had an impressive leaping 25-yard touchdown catch over freshman CB Kevon Seymour.
- Kiffin said Florida transfer Josh Shaw is winning him over. Shaw is showing he is willing to do what he needs to help the team, and Kiffin suggested that he will play somewhere in the secondary or special teams.
- Special teams coach John Baxter said the new kickoff rule benefits USC because it will allow them to start play on the 25-yard line without risking injury. This should help USC preserve its numbers, which Coach Baxter is a huge proponent of, considering all that can happen on a kick return.
Kiffin and USA Today Poll:
- Kiffin apologized if he misled anyone regarding the poll, coming in the wake of his decision to forgo voting in the coaches’ poll.
- Kiffin also said he wouldn’t regret just missing the BCS title game by one vote because it would mean they had a solid season.
Trojan football camp resumes on Tuesday, at 3:45 p.m.