When the 7-on-7 competition starts today at Nike’s The Opening, Lane Kiffin and his coaching staff will have a keen eye on how the action goes down. The rosters were decided via draft on Friday night, and of the eight USC commits in Oregon for the weekend, three play together on one team, while two other teams will field a pair of future Trojans. For the full rosters, click here.
The Field Generals, anchored by quarterback Max Browne, could be the most intriguing team of the tournament. With Browne, are two USC commits: Steven Mitchell and Sebastian LaRue. As we mentioned earlier in the week, camps like The Opening are a great chance for players to start to gel with one another, and the quarterback-receiver relationship is arguably the most dependent on chemistry.
- The Field Generals roster also includes USC targets Priest Willis, Tahaan Goodman and Vernon Hargreaves.
- Alex Anzalone is also on the roster, and according to Victory Bell Rings, Twitter suggests he’s a Notre Dame lean.
- Mike Mitchell, an Ohio State lean, will get the start at middle linebacker, fresh off of his SPARQ victory on Friday.
- OC Dan Hawkins is the former head coach of the Boise State Broncos and the Colorado Buffaloes, and he’ll be sure the team knows that this ain’t inter-murals, brother! (Sorry, had to.)
On the Alpha Speed team, Christian Hackenberg, the second ranked pro-style quarterback in the Class of 2013 and a Penn State commit, will have not one, but two USC commits in his backfield, with Justin Davis and Ty Isaac. For the backs, it’s a great opportunity to form a bond as a backfield package, and it also should give both the opposition and scouts alike, the first view at what could be the next Thunder & Lightning backfield for USC.
- Laquon Treadwell is high on USC, and he’ll be spliting time with Ricky Seals-Jones, who has decommitted from Texas but remains a heavy Longhorn lean.
- Also playing receiver for Alpha Speed is Paul Harris, who claimed USC to be his leading school on Friday.
- USC target Artie Burns is a player to watch at corner, as his 40-time was the second fastest during Friday’s SPARQ competition.
The Land Sharks feature just one USC commit, Chris Hawkins, but also have the lone UCLA commit to be attending The Opening, Deon Hollins.
- Offensive coordinator Natrone Means brings plenty of nostalgia for all of those remembering his 140-yard performance against the Broncos in the 1996-97 NFL Playoffs for the Jaguars.
Alpha Talon, could have the most intriguing defense in the competition. Michael Hutchings will start at linebacker, and alongside him at corner is that guy, Jalen Ramsey. On offense, USC commit Eldridge Massington will split time with newly-dedicated Washington Husky, Damore’ea Stringfellow.
- Safety Leon McQuay III is not just a USC target, they’re in top final three, alongside Michigan and Vanderbilt.
Neither the Vapor Carbon team, nor the Super Bad team field a USC commit or a top target for the Trojans. However, they have two quarterbacks set to play in the SEC, in Brice Ramsey who is committed to Georgia, and Cooper Bateman who has committed to Alabama.
- Jeryl Brazil of Vapor Carbon had the fast 40-time on Friday, sporting a blazing time of 4.32.
Tags: Chris Hawkins Eldridge Massington Jalen Ramsey Justin Davis Laquon Treadwell Leon McQuay III Max Browne Michael Hutchings Paul Harris Popular Sebastian LaRue Steven Mitchell The Opening Ty Isaac USC Football Recruiting